Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In the Kitchen #2 : Old-Fashioned Beef Pot Pie

It's been a little while since I've done a recipe post, and after the response I received yesterday on Facebook for posting a picture of the following recipe, I thought I'd share another new family favorite.  This one's from The One-Dish Bible, a recent Birthday gift from my sister-in-law.  I've only tried two recipes from this particular cookbook, and so far both have made the menu rotation!

Last night, I was in a kind of frenzy to get dinner done, which isn't out of the ordinary, but usually when that happens, I say to Seth, "Sooooo, what do you want for dinner?", which is actually code for "We're eating out tonight, what do you want?"  I'm trying to avoid eating out as much since we do it way too often, so I quickly scanned my monthly meal menu to see if there was anything I could make in about 30 minutes that didn't come out of a box.  I saw the Beef Pot Pie recipe and thought it looked simple and quick, and I just happened to have some mostly thawed beef.  Game on!  :)

Old-Fashioned Beef Pot Pie


(I've added my own notes on this recipe in italics, but really, it's super easy!)

-1lb ground beef
-1 can (11 ounces) condensed beef with vegetables and barley soup  (I used Campbell's Select Harvest Vegetable Beef with Barley soup.  One can is 18.6 ounces and doesn't require adding water, so I just skipped adding the 1/2 cup of water the recipe calls for)
-1/2 cup water
-1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed and drained (I used a bag of frozen veggie mix with peas, carrots, corn and green beans. I didn't thaw it beforehand since I was on a tight schedule)
-1/2 tsp seasoned salt
-1/8 tsp garlic powder
-1/8 tsp ground black pepper
-1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided (I pretty much always add more cheese than a recipe calls for, so my 1 cup was rather generous)
-1 1/3 cups french fried onions, divided
-1 package (7 1/2 ounces) refrigerated biscuits  (I used a 16 ounce can, which is why in my picture I have a biscuit in the center of the casserole)


Preheat oven to 350 F.  In large skillet, brown ground beef, drain.  Stir in soup, water (if using), veggies and seasonings; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of cheese (I probably added 3/4 c) and 2/3 cup french fried onions.

Pour mixture into 12x8-inch baking dish (mine was 13x9, whatevs :).  Cut each biscuit in half; place, cut sides down around the edge of casserole. (I sprayed the sides of my casserole dish before I did this because things ALWAYS stick to the side of my dish.  And as a side note, biscuits are the worst to open!! I almost had a heart attack!)  Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are done.  Top with remaining cheese (or whatever looks good to you ;) and 2/3 cup of french fried onions; bake, uncovered 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.  Makes 4-6 servings.

It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, which was a little longer than I had hoped, but still not too shabby since most of it was baking time, and I let the meat and soup mixture simmer for a bit longer than the recipe called for.  Still, it was super DELISH!!  Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch today!  (Please excuse the quality of the cell phone picture :)


Well, that's that!!  If you end up trying it out, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!!

Also, I'd love to make this a more regular post, but I don't seem to have the motivation to do it with the new recipes I try on my own.  So, if you have a favorite recipe that you'd like me to do a post about, feel free to email it over to me at chrissydemingphotography@gmail.com!  Seth loves when I try new recipes, and I'm always looking for new recipes to spice up the menu, so we'd both be forever grateful to you! :)

Enjoy, and Happy Wednesday!!!! :) :) :)

No comments: