Thursday, April 14, 2011

So long, Diet Coke

Hi.  My name is Chrissy.  I'm a Diet Coke-aholic.  And I'm ready to change.

I've never considered myself to be on the crazy spectrum of Diet Coke drinking. I usually have 1 can a day, occasionally 2 (I'm sure that's crazy by someone's standards, but I try to keep it somewhat limited).  And I've tried to justified my DC drinking by thinking it could be worse.  I mean, it's not like I'm smoking or getting drunk, right?  Seth has always argued that this way of thinking isn't logical, that I'm still putting something harmful into my body, and deep down I've always known he's right.  But it's an addiction. Plain and simple.

I've been going back and forth about breaking this addiction for some time now.  But as alcoholics enjoy drinking alcohol, I enjoy drinking Diet Coke.  I look forward to eating lunch every day knowing that my precious DC is waiting for me, all nice and cold and bubbly.  I work hard as a stay-at-home mom, and a small business owner, so don't I deserve it?  Um, hello! As scary as that thought sounds, it's the thought that goes through my head every day as I'm pouring myself a fizzing glass.  I mean, COME ON!  I can't think of other, healthier things that I deserve??  Like not getting cancer or developing other serious health problems from the aspartame?  Or osteoporosis from the phosphoric acid leaching the calcium from my bones?

The thing that really freaks me out is when I drink it even when I don't want it.  It's like my body craves it and my brain can't do anything about it.  Even when I'm sick and have a taste for no food at all, I'll find myself drinking a Diet Coke just because.  Healthy, huh?  

The thing that solidified my desire to change was a particularly insane DC drinking day yesterday, when I had a large Diet Coke from McDonald's with lunch (yes, LARGE. That's 32 ounces, people!!), then a can-and-a-half with dinner.  I felt out of control.  Because I AM out of control.  

Maybe I'm being over-dramatic about this, but I don't care.  I don't want to be a slave to something this stupid any longer.  Life is just too dang short.  So here's the deal, I've tried to kick this habit before, but I've been all "I'll only have some when we go out to eat" or "Only on holidays", which inevitably turns into drinking it again full-time.  So this time, it's over.  I'm breaking up with you, Diet Coke.  For good.  The end.  So help me God.  (Seriously, God, please help me. I'm going to need it.)


Now, which way to the support group?


9 comments:

sarah said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! You have told all of blog-land, so now you will be held accountable :)
hehe, it still could be worse!

Gladys said...

i hear ya!
I have been trying to get rid off coffee and it is hard, but you can do it.
check:
http://www.wellgroundedlife.com/
she has great resources of healthy living for busy moms.
I know, i know... another blog...

Chrissy Deming said...

Hah! Thanks, Sarah!! You're right, it's on the internet now, so I REALLY have to do it! :)

Allegra said...

It's tough and you will definitely want it. It's so worth it though. I had my tonsels taken out about a 6 months ago and soda tasted disgusting afterward. Haven't really touched one since. I tried because I wanted one so bad a couple times but I just can't stand the taste anymore. And I really do feel better. (and lost weight too)

Chariot said...

Good luck! That artificial sugar is so bad for you. And just think of all the money you'll save by not buying it!

I've done it myself; it's definitely possible. Once you get to a certain point in your quest it will be easy to stick to your guns and have pop on special occasions.

Amy said...

I've given up regular pop, *gasp* yes it's even worse than diet coke, the dreaded mountain dew and coke, more than once. Just recently I quit for good and am swearing to never return to the addiction. Take to the beloved internet to google your precious diet cokes negative health effects, you'll certainly find out things you never knew which will destroy your taste for dc. I stumbled upon such stories about my coke and dew a month back and it just doesn't taste the same anymore, it's even "gross" now. You can do it! Just replace the dc cravings with some dark chocolate, I swear, it helps. ;)

Dacia said...

Prayers for you chrissy, it certainly isn't easy. Geoff and I gave up pop years ago, so glad we did. Cold turkey is the way to go. You can do it!!!

Jenni said...

Think about how good it is for Lucas that you won't have pop in the house! Two of my older nephews were not allowed to drink pop at all at a young age and now they hate it. The younger one was and he likes it. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Chrissy Deming said...

Thank you all so much for the encouragement!!!!! I'll have to come back here and read all of these comments when I'm feeling weak. You guys are great!! :) :)