Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Top 5 Tuesday : Pregnancy

The other night as I was waiting to fall asleep, I was reflecting on this time last year when I was pregnant.  The good, the bad, the ugly.  Unfortunately, I wasn't the kind of woman who loved being pregnant.  I felt sick for about the first 6 months, and when that finally went away, I had disgusting heartburn. Yuck. Not exactly the beautifulness I had heard so much about. :)  So, anyways, the other night I was thinking about that, and I started forming a list in my mind about the different aspects of my pregnancy, and thought perhaps I'd share it with all you lovely people.  Well then it snowballed into me thinking about how much I love to make lists, and thus the idea of Top 5 Tuesday was born (Hey, a pun!  Pregnancy, ideas being born...get it??  Nevermind. :]).

For this first Top 5, I'll actually be sharing two, because I feel like both sides should be represented. :)

Top 5 Bad Things About (My) Pregnancy
5. Weight Gain - I'm not gonna lie.  I know there's good reason for it and all, but it's tough seeing those numbers rise. And because of my nausea in the beginning, I only felt good with food in my tummy, so that led to me gaining about 10 more lbs than recommended (I gained 45lbs, for those of you who don't know what is the recommended weight gain for pregnancy ;]). 
4. Back pain/Being kicked in the Ribs - Lucas loved my ribs.  They weren't so fond of him.
3. Stretch Marks - Darn you, Cocoa Butter Lotion, for not being able to outsmart genetics.
2. Sleepless Nights/Exhaustion - You'd think that the hormone induced exhaustion would be enough to overpower my intermittent lifelong struggle with insomnia, instead they teamed up against me to make an even more tired Chrissy. 
1. Nausea/Heartburn - Two words.  NOT FUN.  That's pretty much all I can say about that.

Now onto more pleasant things...

Top 5 Good Things About (My) Pregnancy
5. Finding Out I Was Pregnant, and Telling Others - I cried.  And jumped around.  It was awesome.  And it was so much fun seeing everyone else's reactions to the news.  They are some of my favorite memories. 
4. My Labor - I know it's kind of weird for me to have this on this list because it's only until recently that I can say this, but having a drug-free labor was an amazing experience.  At the risk of sounding like a hippie, I felt so connected to everything that was happening in my body.  This, in turn, brought me so close to God.  My body was doing what it was created to do, and it was doing it beautifully, albeit painfully.  And I also felt so connected to Seth.  Having him help me through each contraction took a huge amount of strength on his part, and a huge amount of trust on mine.  He was a rock star.  The culmination of labor pain, support from my AMAZING husband (and freaking awesome Doula, Kim Wheaton), and then the actual delivery of my precious baby was so intense that I know I would absolutely do it without drugs again.   
3. Feeling My Baby Kick - There is nothing cooler than this little reminder that you have life growing inside of you.  Unless, of course, you're this guy.
2. My First Ultrasound - At a point when it's still hard to believe you're pregnant because there are no physical manifestations (except for being sick), it's so awesome to see and hear that little heartbeat just to know there's something there.
1. Holding my Baby in My Arms - I know it's cliche, but I don't care.  There is nothing that compares to finally meeting this little creature that has been so altering your body for the past 9 months, and realizing that it was all worth it.


Obviously, these are my own personal thoughts.  I'd love to hear yours, so feel free to leave them in the comments! :) :)

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love your "good things" list--totally agree with every one! When I was pregnant, I also loved the way I looked with my baby bump--it felt so womanly.The zombie-like circles under my eyes due to low iron, on the other hand, not so great :)

Scott, Katie and Timmy said...

Its great to hear that someone else gained "too much" weight and didn't exactly fit the glowing lovely mold of pregnancy! I'm pregnant with number two now and it was encouraging to read your top five worst list!

by the way, your son is adorable!